Monday 28 September 2009

My biggest fear… By Marina Fogle

I often get asked if there’s anything that really scares me about pregnancy and I’ve never been entirely honest with my answer. OK, the idea of labour is pretty scary but with any luck I’ll be in hospital with ready access to lots of drugs. No, what really scares me is the chance my feet might get bigger.

Most of you will be thinking how pathetic I am, but I already have trouble fitting in to a size 42 shoe and there are only a handful of shoe companies that will do a size 42, most finish at a size 41. And I love shoes. To me they are art. Really, I have my favourite pair displayed on the mantelpiece in my bedroom as I love to admire them.

So now you can understand why the stories of women’s feet going up a size in pregnancy and not shrinking back was scaring the hell out of me. Was I really going to be confined to shopping for shoes in transvestite shops if I wanted children?

You can imagine my relief when Emi, my colleague, forwarded me the website of French Sole. I thought this was going to be yet another disappointing ‘window shopping’ experience, the kind that leaves me deflated after the shop assistant with her stupid size 36 feet, raises her eyebrows at me when I ask if she has anything larger than a size 42. I clicked on a pair of patent grey ballet flat to find that they went up to a size 44. Yes 44.

I’m not joking when I say I did a little dance around the office, punching the air and whooping like an Olympic Gold Medallist. The gorgeous shoes arrived the following day (in spite of the postal strike) and I have not taken them off since. In spite of my expanding belly, these wonderfully large shoes have put a little skip back into my step.


Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments

Joanne said...

Thanks to Marina for being so honest and up front about the challenges of pregnancy. For shoes I have been flopping around the house (yes flopping!) in my husband's slippers as my own are just too tight. I will try French Sole.....although will I give up my husband's slippers?? I doubt it!

Joanne B

Josi said...

Love french sole, and now that anally arranging my heels by colour & height holds no purpose (as am far too pregnant & tired to wear them), I have bought x 3 pairs of frenchies all neatly line up in my wardrobe. I smile with delight when opening my wardrobe to see them all neatly lined up in red, navy quilted, & cream/ black contrast - now all I have to do is be bothered to leave the house & wear them ! Anyone else resolving to such wierd behaviour ??!!

Nina said...

I have been a devotee of flats for years - being tall, heels make me over 6 foot - not at all practical while pregnant! Having had two pregnancies in my mid-twenties - here i am again at 39 (really! - true age for now!) and no 3 on the way - the trusted flatties are back in constant service. Only worry is fat feet being too wide or puffy for toe cleavage! My feet did swell after last pregnancies - but thankfully went back to normal - but cannot remember how long it took - summer pregnancies means more swollen feet with the heat - so perhaps this time they will swell less - I have wide feet anyway - so here's hoping! Anyway thank God French Sole are still in fashion - that's all i can say - and if feet do swell and stretch them at least they are not the most expensive shoes to spoil - and I agree - a girl needs at least 3 pairs/colours to cover basic wardrobe needs! Unhappy or sore feet are not worth having when the rest of one's body is stretching-now at quite a pace -3 months to go!

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT