Thursday 5 November 2009

Winter Staples & Parking Mad, by Marina Fogle

The combination of the weather finally cooling and my stomach finally expanding has made choosing what to wear every morning this week particularly hard. There’s really no doubting I’m pregnant now - good when I get shunted to the front of the queue at the bank; bad if I’ve got nothing that fits.

So it’s back to basics. I’ve invested in one of every colour of Homemummy Rouched Bound Vest tops. They flatter my bump and are way long enough to cover its vast expanse.

And then you get to play with whatever goes on top. A selection of good cardigans is essential and thanks to this season’s trends, you don’t necessarily need to stick to maternity styles. My favourite is this Christopher Fisher Tie Cardigan which is the perfect piece throughout pregnancy and beyond. The tie, ties just above your bump giving it definition without making it look too big. It’s also not too bulky so you can easily wear it under a coat as the weather cools. Then when your baby is born and your tummy is not yet flat, the ties hide what needs hiding.

Another good trend is for long cardigans. I’ve got this Long Sleeve Stripe Cardi from Hobbs which is great over my skinny paige jeans or my beloved MLM leggings. It buttons up over my bump and keeps both of us toasty warm.

For a bit of evening sparkle, I love this sequin Juicy Couture cardigan. Again it would go over my mlm leggings with a pair of sky high heels (provided my husband is around to cling to and there’s no walking involved).


I had to pop into Sainsburys the other day, literally just for a second. It was one of those days, raining; I was running late and of course had forgotten to buy tarragon for dinner. In a black mood, I nipped into the car park and there was a mother and child space that enticed me into it. As I stepped out of my car, a man in a yellow jacket approached me and asked “Excuse me madam, where is your child?” to which I replied “I think it should be perfectly obvious that it’s in my uterus”. He didn’t really have an answer to that. Ha! No-one messes with a pregnant woman…

3 comments

Jess said...

I have discovered wearing cardigans buttoned over my bump is more flattering than the boyfriend cardigan look - only it can now be a little drafty, so wrap cardigans are ideal

Evie said...

Mm I would love to have the Christopher Fischer cashmere cardigan to wrap around my ever-growning bump these next few months!

Alice said...

Would love to have seen Marina's exchange with the man in Sainsbury's carpark! I had a similar experience at our local Morrison's, I simply igored the man, and ever since he now hides whenever I park there

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT