Monday 23 November 2009

Baby Paraphinalia, by Marina Fogle

I finally bit the bullet and bought all the baby stuff I’ve been told is essential for the arrival of a newborn. I’d been recommended a company called Babylist which can advise and order everything you need – from nipple guards to changing tables. I was a bit suspicious – my wedding list company had failed to deliver on time and seemed intent on selling us the most overpriced ‘gifts’ . I hate the idea of being ripped off and didn’t want it to happen again.

By the time I was 34 weeks though, the thought of traipsing around dozens of shops getting all this stuff (and probably forgetting half of it) didn’t appeal to me at all. So I persuaded my sister Chiara to accompany me and together with my sister in law’s 12 week old labradoodle puppy, we headed off to the Babylist warehouse – ‘just to see’.

We were greeted by the charming founder Anita, and as soon as word of the puppy spread , she was followed by the rest of the Babylist girls. Sitting comfortably with a delicious decaf cappuccino and a plate of dried fruit, we proceeded to go through everything a prospective parent will need for the arrival of their baby. Babylist stocks a huge range of brands and the consultants will advise you on which is best for you. As they’re not selling only one brand, their advice really is impartial.

Anita had prepared a list of things to consider – everything from nursery furniture including nappy bins, to breast pumps and baby baths. Included were a few things I never would have thought of – for instance a thermometer that you stick in the baby’s ear that will instantly tell you what their temperature is. If you think your baby might be unwell, the first thing the doctor will ask if you call is if they’ve got a temperature. This really is the perfect thing to have in your medicine cabinet. They’ve also got all the cute stuff – adorable hand knitted cashmere cardis and hats, mobiles and by far the nicest nursery furniture I’ve seen, as well as buggies, car seats.

I left two hours later with a comprehensive list of things I’d bought. Their prices are retail prices and they promise to match any price on the high street. I even have a list of things to order on my next Ocado shop – nappies, baby wipes, cotton wool pads etc. Best of all, your haul is delivered to your house and put in your nursery so that you can spend the extra time that you’ve saved with your feet up, relaxing.

*Complimentary consultation at Babylist for the first 10 mama-la-mode customers; Ring 0207 371 5145 to book now yours now!

1 comment

Anonymous said...

Yes I agree, my sister used them too. Very helpful!
x

Post a Comment

POST COMMENT